Summer’s end is a perfect time to assess your landscape and plan improvements for the coming year. To make your 2014 landscape even more beautiful than the year before while also more efficient and easier to maintain requires thorough planning. Here are some suggestions to help you get organized.
Walk around your landscape while jotting down notes on ways to improve your property’s functionality and aesthetics. Note any landscape structures or areas of hardscaping that have developed problems or issues that may create hazards. Here are some examples of common issues:
- Wobbly or broken pavers
- Large plant pots and statuaries too close to a pathway or otherwise obstructing comfortable and safe movement
- Broken or leaning trellises/arbors
- Insufficient lighting
Next, turn your attention to the plants. Note dead plants, plants past their prime, plant overcrowding, plants that you simply do not like anymore and plants that are doing poorly in their current location. It is easy to make planting mistakes, but fortunately, plants can all be replaced.
As you plan improvements, you should keep in mind what you learned during your assessment, and you should consider questions such as these:
- Do you have a specific landscape design style you want to incorporate? This can affect plant selection and the type of outdoor lighting fixtures you choose.
- Did your landscape suffer from the drought? Consider turning to drought-tolerant plants and water-wise landscaping.
- Did you have wildlife issues? Incorporating fire-resistant plants into landscaping may help.
- If slugs and other crawling pests feasted on your vegetable garden, consider switching to raised beds.
- What can be changed to improve curb and window appeal?
New plants and features can help enliven a dull landscape, but good design is also necessary to overcome climate and geographical challenges. You do not have to go it alone, though. Our professionals at Lifescape can help you assess, plan and implement landscape improvements that will set you up for a gorgeous 2014. We offer many types of services, including landscape architecture, construction and garden design and maintenance. Contact us today to learn more.