Energy-conscious homeowners have already made the switch to more efficient interior lighting sources but many are slow to follow suit with their exterior lights. LED lighting for gardens and landscapes is a cost-efficient and sustainable way to provide ample task and mood lighting while simultaneously reducing energy consumption.
Add LED Lighting to “Light” Your Gardens and Landscapes
- LED lights consume up to 75 percent less energy than halogen or incandescent versions.
- The average lifespan of a high-quality LED fixture is 12 to 14 years.
- With the use of timers and/or photocells, you’ll glean approximately 40,000 hours of light from your fixtures (that’s about 1,667 days or 4.5 straight years of light!).
Use the following suggestions to facilitate the conversion to LEDs in your garden landscapes.
- Take a step-by-step approach. LED lights are a more expensive initial investment, but the expenses are recouped, and then some, via lower electric bills and significantly fewer bulb and fixture changes over the years. There is no need to replace everything all at once; instead, create a multi-step approach, replacing the fixtures one area or need at a time over the course of a year or several seasons.
- Go big with the transformer. You always want to be thinking ahead, so use a larger transformer than you require now, so you can continue adding to your lighting plan as needed in the future. Consider buying a transformer that can handle at least two to three times the wattage you need now. You only pay for the electricity you use, and the extra watts will come in handy later on.
- Buy the highest quality fixtures you can afford. It’s tempting to opt for the greatest savings, but this isn’t the wisest course of action if it means purchasing new fixtures every few years or more. Scale back your LED replacement plan if needed, so you can always purchase the highest-quality fixtures to yield the optimal return on your investment.
Schedule a consultation with Lifescape Colorado to begin transitioning your lights to energy-efficient LED alternatives. We can assess your current outdoor lighting plan and help you to design a multi-tiered approach in alignment with the way your family uses your outdoor living spaces. Contact us to learn more.