Some may already have their Christmas tree up, while others are looking for that perfect real tree that will fit their family room just right. Need a few tips on selecting a real Christmas tree? Here are a few tips Lifescape featured last year with a few new ones mixed in:
- Be sure you know what size (height and width) you need before heading out.
- Run a branch through your enclosed hand – the needles should not come off easily.
- Pinch the needle to check for freshness, if there is a rich fragrance, that’s a fresh tree.
- Look for other indicators of dryness or deterioration: excessive needle loss, discolored foliage, musty odor, needle pliability, and wrinkled bark. A good rule-of-thumb is, when in doubt about the freshness of a tree, select another one.
- To maintain freshness while in the home, cut an inch off the base and put the trunk in a stand holding at least one gallon of water.
Source: christmastree.org, Photo via uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com